Part of NewFormat AB Portal
Products and Services
Offerings / Promotions / Prices
Guides and Datasheets
Customer Contact Form
Our solutions are based on
tested, reliable, and highly accessible hardware and software solutions.
NewFormat is Appointed Reseller and Solution Partner in
Nordic (Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland) and Baltic Region (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania)
of leading PDF technology from callas software GmbH.
Solutions for Prepress, Print Production, Publishing, and Document Exchange
Solutions for dynamic creation of high quality PDFs from HTML
(including PDF/A and PDF/X).
Dynamic conversion of HTML content for distribution through any channel.
and with support for SVG, MathML, advanced pagination, bar codes, CMYK, spot colors and more.
Click Here for Free Trial of callas pdfChip.
(You will be asked to fill in a contact form.
To help us identify your software download and support you,
please enter the code NewFormat in the form field named Preferred Reseller).
a modern PDF generator creating high-quality PDF from HTML templates
callas pdfChip is a command-line conversion tool that takes an HTML file
conversion to PDF that is ready for print or archival (PDF/X or PDF/A).
With an increasing amount of content stored in web-based content management systems (CMS),
callas pdfChip will prove to be particularly valuable to businesses needing to provide up-to-date
information to customers through their own preferred channels.
callas pdfChip is recommended when businesses need flexible and automated high-volume PDF creation.
Example cases include content-rich transactional printing, book and catalog creation,
and web-to-print applications or imposition.
callas pdfChip allows businesses to dynamically format content
for distribution through any channel they require.
callas pdfChip is based on easy-to-use, common and established web technology
that are widely known and that require no dedicated development resources.
The HTML templates used by callas pdfChip are very similar to what would be needed for use on websites.
A good understanding of up-to-date web technology is sufficient to get started with pdfChip.
Anyone with experience building up-to-date website solutions will have enough background in
There is no need to learn custom XML or XSL-FO based languages;
anything that works in HTML is immediately usable in callas pdfChip.
That sets callas pdfChip apart from solutions that have their own custom
XML or XSL-FO based template languages.
The fact that callas pdfChip is a command-line tool as opposed to a development library means
that its functionality can easily be integrated into all kinds of different custom environments
without needing dedicated development resources.
callas pdfChip can also be driven by automated solutions such as Laidback Solutions FileTrain
or Enfocus Switch.
Wide applicability across different markets
With its extensive feature set and high-quality PDF output, callas pdfChip is ideally suited as
the back-end high-volume PDF creation solution for many different applications, amongst others:
- Imposition and content aggregation workflows
- Composition workflows where templates and user contents have to be combined on the fly
and where printable PDF documents have to be delivered
- On-the-fly preparation of magazine, newspaper and book content or sales literature
- Dynamic generation of one-off content such as tickets, stubs, order data, invoices …
(for example in web-to-print environments)
- Variable data printing where templates have to be filled with data coming from a data source
(such as a database or CRM system)
- Transactional printing workflows where transactional data needs to be
combined with visually rich designs
When to Use and Not to Use callas pdfChip - Details
When to Use and Not to Use callas pdfChip - Details - Popup-Window
callas pdfChip Architecture
callas pdfChip is a powerful PDF creation technology which uses HTML as its input format.
high-performance and printable PDF documents.
callas pdfChip compensates for limitations of the HTML format and
provides features to define page breaks and page numbers,
to use the printing color space, and much more.
News in callas pdfChip v1.2
callas pdfChip v1.2 update focuses on ease-of-use:
- Debug Plug-In for Chrome
One of the challenges in developing pdfChip templates,
is figuring out the right HTML to get the effect in PDF that you want.
will not open correctly in a standard browser such as Chrome.
With pdfChip 1.2 comes a Chrome plug-in that emulates
- Extended support for barcodes
pdfChip contains a built-in barcode library that supports
over 100 (119 to be precise) barcode types.
Many of these barcodes have special features and
parameters that could not be used in pdfChip.
From pdfChip 1.2 on, these specific parameters can also be used
in your templates, making the barcode functionality even more powerful.
At the same time, it is now possible to use much more coloring schemes
for barcodes, opening up a wide array of more creative barcode uses.
- InDesign template generator
pdfChip templates can be created with any good text editor
or with a tool specifically targeted towards web design.
For those people who feel more comfortable with design tools, such as Adobe InDesign,
callas released the pdfChip template generation export filter for
Adobe InDesign with the pdfChip 1.2 release.
This export filter converts an InDesign document into a correct
pdfChip template, correctly taking over the positions of all elements on the page,
the color and styles of page elements and more.
This allows to dramatically reduce the time required to build a correct pdfChip template.
- Additional features
Creating a template that correctly loads fonts and images can be difficult,
because of the asynchronous way pdfChip (and the WebKit engine within)
handle those page resources.
In pdfChip 1.2, there is a new, elegant way, to handle this problem.
pdfChip is capable of outputting more than one PDF document.
When generating business cards for example,
each business card could be saved in a single PDF file.
It is now also possible to cross link between those files.
This means that each generated PDF file can contain links
to one or more of the other generated PDF files.
and where necessary enhanced with things, such as MathML or SVG.
Sometimes, more simple needs could be handled by a single SVG file however.
pdfChip 1.2 allows specifying a single SVG file which will be converted into a PDF seamlessly.
News in callas pdfChip v1.1
callas pdfChip v1.1 update adds a number of features especially useful
when creating long, dynamic documents:
- Making integration easier
Using pdfChip to convert an HTML template to a good PDF file is straightforward and easy.
pdfChip v1.1 focuses on making integration of the tool in a larger project
just as easy by adding a number of features:
- Control the maximum number of pages in the generated PDF file.
Makes it e.g. possible to create single page PDF files in just one go instead of
one PDF file with many pages. Since the destination PDF can now be defined in
During development it can be critical to understand what errors occur and
how to adjust the HTML template. Error reporting is now improved in order
to make it easier to develop complex PDF publishing applications.
- Passing command-line variables straight to the HTML template.
Allows for passing command-line variables straight to the HTML template,
The ability to pass this kind of small information to an HTML template adds
even more flexibility to PDF publishing; compared to what was already possible
- Long, dynamic PDF documents
Long documents, that need to include lists of references such as a list of figures,
list of tables or simply a table of contents, were a challenge in pdfChip v1.0.
In pdfChip v1.1 the new concept of a “list collector” is implemented:
- List collector.
This new feature allows content to be marked using simple CSS and stores
This information can then be used to automatically create a table of content
with page numbers for the generated PDF document for example.
- Advanced templates
- Device-N color space.
Device-N color space is an advanced PDF color space that is essential for
content where a number of different spot colors or a combination of CMYK
and spot colors is used for page objects like images or vector graphics.
- Improved placing of PDF files.
Placing of PDF files has been improved.
pdfChip provides information about PDF files that are placed in the HTML template,
e.g. about their trimbox or bleedbox.
- Command-line (CLI) application
- Full support for HTML5
- Built on Qt WebKit as HTML rendering
- Support for HTML editors to develop HTML input for callas pdfChip
- Highly optimized PDF generation to overcome inefficiencies of typical HTML output
- Support for professional TrueType and OpenType fonts
- Professional PDF generation
where needed to get first-class PDF for print and publishing
- Proper definition of media, crop, trim and bleed box
- Generation of CMYK, Lab and Gray color spaces
- Generation of ICC-based color spaces
- Generation of spot colors (named colors)
- Inclusion of dynamic XMP metadata
- Inclusion of necessary PDF/X or PDF/A standard tags
- Control over PDF specific properties (overprint, line styles…)
- Uses XSL-FO (Extensible Stylesheet Language – Formatting Objects)
- Unlike other applications using XSL-FO callas pdfChip,
through its use of the widespread HTML,
requires no specialist or technical know-how.
This approach is particularly advantageous for
both printing and online publishing applications.
- Custom pagination support
- Support for multiple PDF generation passes to add any number of
static or dynamic underlays and overlays to the final PDF document
- Support for any page numbering pattern and running headers and footers
- Integrated bar code support
- Integrated barcode generation functionality,
with support for over one hundred different types of common and specialist bar codes
- Bar code addition through addition of easy to define custom HTML object
- Full control over barcode appearance through HTML parameters and CSS styling
- Dynamic handling of multiple native PDF files
- callas pdfChip can be used to dynamically combine multiple native PDF files on one
or more pages, instead of inserting them as images in the print data stream.
- Support for personalized data
- A database connection or targeted use of PDF metadata can also
be used for personalized document creation and printing.
Key Features - Details
Key Features Details - Popup-Windows
High-speed and high-quality PDF generation
- Powerful PDF creation from HTML
- High-quality, true-color, high-performance and printable PDF documents
- Not only for print but also for online publishing
- Highly-optimized engine based on Qt WebKit
- Compensates for limitations of the HTML format
- Smallest output PDF size possible
- Provides features to define page breaks and page numbers,
to use the printing color space, and more
- Supports multi-processor environments for parallel generation of multiple PDF files
- Generation of standards-compliant PDF files in PDF/X and PDF/A workflows
- Dynamically combine multiple native PDF files on one or more pages
- Dynamic inclusion of all necessary XMP metadata
- Targeted use of PDF metadata
- Possibility to use the exact same HTML and CSS code on the web and for PDF generation
Low entry level
- A good understanding of up-to-date web technology is sufficient to get started with pdfChip;
no need to learn custom XML or XSL-FO based template syntax
- Command-line integration for fast and seamless
implementation of the technology in your projects
- Easy installation through unzipping of installation archive;
no dependencies on special software or hardware
- Comprehensive user documentation and tutorial included,
quick learning curve guaranteed
Wide feature support
- Full support for SVG, either inline in HTML or through referencing separate SVG files.
SVG is converted losslessly into PDF code without rasterisation
- Support for MathML
- Built-in extensive support for barcode generation through custom HTML objects
with support for CSS based styling
callas pdfChip comes in several flavours for specific needs
and workflow automation requirements
|Max. number of simultaneous
conversions (number of
|Max. number of pages
|Set of barcodes:
Code 39 & 128,
|Max. number of pages
per PDF document:
|Support for advanced
callas pdfToolbox CLI is a command-line tool.
- Mac: Requires Mac OS X (Intel), version 10.7 or newer, 64-bit-compliant.
- Windows: Requires Windows Server 2008 R2 / Server 2012 / 7 / 8 / 10
- Linux: Reference platform is Debian 7 (Wheezy)
- Other distributions require at least glibc-2.10 for full support of all features.
Distributions with an older glibc are not supported (e.g. glibc-2.5 on RHEL5/CentOS5).
- Oracle/Sun Solaris
- Solaris SPARC: Solaris 8 (Solaris SPARC v5.8) or newer
- Solaris x86: Solaris 10 (Solaris Intel v5.10) or newer
- IBM AIX: AIX 5.3 (oslevel 5300-07) or newer
- Recommended are at least 2 GB of free storage
For more information contact NewFormat
Smörblommegränd 14, SE-165 72 Hässelby (Stockholm), Sweden
tel:+46 (0)70 631 53 01
All content © copyright 2008-2016 NewFormat AB. All rights reserved.
callas software Partner